Monday, July 15, 2013


Road Trip to Ohio…."I need something with substance."
Traveling with the kids in the van by day four we were in "survival mode."  Just get there!  Trying to keep the peace no matter the cost we gave the kids books, play dough, crayons, movies, songs, candy, juice, pop….and more candy! We stopped to fuel up the van and then went to the store to stretch our legs and refuel the supplies: candy, ice cream, pop, and more and more snacks to get them by.  As the girls and I came to the counter with our arms full of sugary snacks, Eric meets us with a nice bowl of fresh fruit.  He says, "I need something with substance."  We get into the van, Anna and I quickly consume our ice cream so it doesn't melt. I offer Olivia some, but she points to Eric's bowl and says, Uh,Uh! Then Anna chimes in, "I don't want my ice cream mom, I want a strawberry."  Then I realized after four days of consuming junk, all we needed was a little substance. 

I wonder if the church gets into "survival mode" sometimes.  While traveling on the spiritual road with you I hear, "We just need to get through the summer months, then our worship attendance and offerings will pick up."  "When we get through the busy season of Christmas, Lent, Sunday School, confirmation, then….."  I personally know I have heard these words come out of my mouth when I get into survival mode, by just going through the motions.  We just keep handing out sugary coated programs, events, and dinners at people hoping and praying they will return, instead of giving them substance.  

So, as I wonder with you all about what God's is up to in Kittson County, I wonder if we are in survival mode?  I wonder what are the things we try to throw at people, that really aren't feeding people's souls?  I wonder where is the substance?  Where is the life?  Where is the joy, peace, patience, kindness, all the fruits of the spirit and how can we share that with one another? 

*Examine: I need your help is shopping in Kittson County for substance?  Please, join me in looking for signs of fruit?  Where do you see people receiving the Holy Spirit's fruit of joy, peace, patience, kindness?   Where do you see people consuming sugary treats that leave people feeling empty, stressed, dead inside?     
*Scripture reflection: Galatians 5: 16-22  God's list of sugary treats, and fruit that will sustain us in this life and in the next. 
*Prayer:  Thank you God for your fruits of the spirit that sustain us on this road trip of life.  Sorry God for choosing sugary, pre-packaged food that quickly fills the desires of our flesh and not our spirits.  Please God, crucify our wants and desires for our families and churches, and unify us to live by your Spirit.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment